This blackberry lemon yogurt cake proves that berries make basic vanilla cake pretty special. Baked in a round cake pan, it’s an easy dessert.
- 1–1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 3/4 cup whole-milk Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1–1/2 cups fresh or frozen blackberries, thawed if frozen
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Grease a 9-inch cake pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a large bowl, rub 1 cup sugar with the lemon zest until the sugar is moist like wet sand. Whisk in the yogurt, vegetable oil, eggs and vanilla extract. Fold in the dry ingredients until just combined.
- In a small bowl, use a fork to mash the berries with 1 tablespoon granulated sugar.
- Spread 1 cup batter into the bottom of the prepared baking pan and spoon over half the blackberries. Spread on the remaining batter into an even layer and top with the rest of the blackberries.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until the top of the cake is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool the cake in the pan for 15 minutes before removing and cooling on a wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Adapted from Bon Appetit May 2012