Topped with cherries and spiced with cardamom, this cherry pistachio cake turns out with an almost gooey crumb especially in the center.
- Non-stick cooking spray
- 1/2 cup plus 1-1/2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1–1/4 cup ground almonds
- 1/4 cup ground pistachios
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups fresh sweet cherries
- Scant 1/2 cup roughly chopped pistachios
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a 9-inch diameter cake pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine both sugars, ground almonds, ground pistachios, coconut, flour, baking powder, salt and cardamom. Stir in the butter followed by the eggs, one at a time, mixing completely after each addition. Spread the batter into an even layer in the pan.
- Pit the cherries and arrange them in a single layer in the pan. Sprinkle with the chopped pistachios and remaining granulated sugar.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until the cake pulls away from the sides of the pan and the top is golden brown in between the cherries. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Cover and store in the refrigerator. Bring to room temperature before serving.
Adapted from Epicurious May 2015