With just spinach, this simple vegan chilled asparagus soup is spring in a bowl. The ingredients are minimal to keep the focus on the asparagus.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium white onion, thinly sliced
- 1–1/2 pounds asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt plus more for serving
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper plus more for serving
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 4 ounces fresh baby spinach
- Minced chives and fresh parsley for serving
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Sauté the onions until they are completely soft and translucent, about 8-10 minutes. Add the asparagus, salt and pepper and continue cooking until the stalks turn bright green, about 4-5 minutes. (Reserve about 1/4 cup asparagus to garnish the soup.
- Increase the heat and add the stock. Once the stock is boiling, reduce the heat and simmer until the asparagus is tender, about 8-10 minutes. Then add the spinach stirring until it has wilted, about 2 minutes. Allow the soup to slightly cool.
- In batches, transfer the soup to a blender to puree. Strain the soup in a fine mesh sieve. Cool to room temperature and then chill in the refrigerator before serving.
- Top each bowl with the reserved asparagus, salt, pepper, chives and parsley.
Adapted from Bon Appetit April 2012