With a nutty cinnamon crumble on top and hidden in the middle of the cake, this cinnamon coffee cake is a sweet breakfast or brunch treat.
- Butter for greasing pan
- Flour for dusting pan
- For cinnamon nut topping and filling
- 1 cup roughly chopped walnuts or pecans
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- For cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick (4 ounces) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup 2% Greek yogurt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter an 8-inch square metal baking pan and dust with flour tapping out the excess.
- For the cinnamon nut topping and filling, combine all the ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time fully incorporating after each addition and then add the vanilla extract. Using a wooden spoon, fold in the yogurt and then gently fold in the dry ingredients until the mixture is just combined.
- Spread half the batter into the prepared cake pan and sprinkle with half the cinnamon nut mixture. Spread the other half of the batter evenly on top and cover with the remaining cinnamon nut mixture.
- Bake the coffee cake for 45-50 minutes until the cake is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 20 minutes on a wire rack. Cut into squares and serve warm or at room temperature.
- Store in an airtight container.