Using both the citrus zest and juice in the batter and icing, makes this grapefruit poppy seed loaf cake, an easy quick bread recipe, incredibly fragrant and full of flavor.
- Non-stick cooking spray
- 1–1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 grapefruit, zest and juice
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds plus more for decorating loaf
- 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8-1/2-inch by 4-inch loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray and line with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. In a large bowl, rub the grapefruit zest into the granulated sugar until it is very fragrant.
- Use an electric mixer on high speed to beat in the eggs, oil and vanilla until pale and thick, about 4 minutes. On low speed, add half the dry ingredients followed by the Greek yogurt and 5 tablespoons grapefruit juice. Fold in the remaining dry ingredients and poppy seeds. Transfer the batter to the prepared baking pan, smoothing into an even layer.
- Bake the loaf until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 50-60 minutes. Poke the top of the loaf and brush with 3 tablespoons grapefruit juice. Cool in the pan for 15 minutes and then transfer the loaf to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the confectioners’ sugar with 1 tablespoon grapefruit juice. Drizzle the icing over the loaf and sprinkle with poppy seeds. Let the icing set for 30 minutes before serving.
- Store in an airtight container.
Adapted from Bon Appetit March 2016