Focaccia is the perfect bread for these grilled vegetable pesto sandwiches with zucchini, yellow squash, bell peppers, tomatoes and goat cheese.
- 1 eggplant, cut into 1/2-inch thick slices
- 1 red onion, cut into 3/4-inch thick rounds
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1 red pepper, cut into 1-inch wide strips
- 1 yellow squash (about 3/4 pound), cut into 1/2-inch thick diagonal slices
- 1 zucchini (about 3/4 pound), cut into 1/2-inch thick diagonal slices
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 5×4-inch pieces rosemary focaccia, halved horizontally
- 1/4 cup basil pesto
- 4 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- 1 handful arugula
- Preheat a gas or charcoal grill on medium high heat.
- Toss all the vegetables with olive oil, salt and pepper. Thread the onions and tomatoes onto separate pre-soaked wood or metal skewers. Arrange the vegetables on the grill grates. Grill, turning occasionally, until the vegetables are tender and lightly browned, 8-10 minutes for onions, 5-7 minutes for peppers, squash, zucchini and eggplant and 2-4 minutes for tomatoes.
- To make the sandwiches, spread the cut sides of focaccia with pesto. Arrange the goat cheese on the bottom sides of the focaccia and top with arugula and the remaining focaccia.