Skip the store-bought version and make your own homemade chai concentrate with of cinnamon, star anise & black pepper that’s not too sweet.
- 5 cups water
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 8 black tea bags, remove tags and tie bags in a bundle
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 2 star anise
- 8 cloves
- 10 cardamom pods
- 5 black peppercorns
- 5 whole allspice
- 1–2” piece of fresh ginger, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large saucepan, bring the water and sugar to a boil over high heat. Add the tea bags, cinnamon, star anise, cloves, cardamom pods, peppercorns, allspice and ginger. Reduce the heat to medium low and simmer for 20-25 minutes. Pour the mixture through a fine mesh strainer into a large bowl and discard the spices. Stir in the honey and vanilla extract.
- Let the chai concentrate cool to room temperature before transferring to a jar and storing in the refrigerator.
- Combine 1 part chai concentrate and 1 part milk. Heat the mixture or serve with ice.