With arugula, scallions, parsley and chopped pistachios, this simple lemon herb wild rice salad is a salad and side dish in a single recipe.
- 1 cup wild rice
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 scallions sliced, white and green parts separated
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon whole grain mustard
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup baby arugula
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped pistachios
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon minced chives
- Rinse the rice with cold water in a fine mesh strainer.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil into a large saucepan over medium heat. Sauté the white parts of the scallions until they start to soften, about 2 minutes.
- Add the rice and vegetable broth and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 45-50 minutes. Check the doneness of the rice. The grains should be cooked but still chewy. (Also refer to the package instructions for recommended cook time).
- Drain any remaining liquid from the saucepan. Let the rice sit covered for 5 minutes. Then fluff it with a fork and transfer rice to a large bowl.
- While the rice is simmering, make the dressing. In a small bowl, whisk together 3 tablespoons olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, mustard, salt and pepper.
- Stir the dressing into the rice.
- Then fold the lemon zest, scallion greens, arugula, pistachios, parsley and chives into the rice.
The rice can be made up to 2 days in advance. Let it cool to room temperature before transferring to an airtight container. Store in the refrigerator. Make the dressing and combine it and the rest of the ingredients with the rice right before serving.
Keywords: wild rice salad, wild rice recipe