This pearl barley tabbouleh has lots of herbs including parsley and mint. It’s more filling than the classic version because of the grains.
- 1/2 cup pearl barley
- 1–1/4 cups water
- 1/2 pint grape tomatoes
- 1/2 cup diced cucumbers
- 1/2 cup parsley leaves, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup mint leaves, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced chives
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Pinch of allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- In a medium saucepan, combine the barley and water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until tender, about 12 minutes. In a mesh strainer, rinse the barley in cold water.
- Transfer the barley to a large bowl. Stir in the tomatoes, cucumbers, parsley, mint, chives, lemon juice, allspice, salt and pepper.
This tabbouleh can also be made with roasted tomatoes.