With pretzel crumbs in the cookie dough, these salty and sweet pretzel shortbread bars have a buttery, almost caramel-like flavor.
- Non-stick cooking spray
- 3–1/4 cups miniature salted pretzels
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 stick (4 ounces) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 14-inch x 4-1/2-inch rectangular tart pan with non-stick cooking spray and line the bottom with parchment.
- In the bowl of a food processor, pulse 1-3/4 cups pretzels until they have the consistency of flour. Combine 1/2 cup pretzel flour, all-purpose flour and baking powder in a medium bowl.
- Discard the leftover pretzel flour. Pulse the remaining whole pretzels until they are roughly chopped.
- Using an electric or stand mixer, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Mix in the egg yolk and then the dry ingredients until just combined. Fold in 1/2 cup chopped pretzels.
- Spread the dough into the prepared tart pan and press 1/4 cup chopped pretzels on top. Bake for 25-30 minutes until the shortbread is light brown and firm to the touch. Cool completely on a wire rack before removing from the pan and cutting into 1-inch wide rectangles with a serrated knife.
- Store in an airtight container.
Adapted from Martha Stewart Living October 2011