Ready in 20 minutes, this roasted broccoli orzo has plenty of lemon, garlic, parsley, scallions and almonds. It can be served as a vegan side or main.
- 1 head broccoli, cut into small florets
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teapsoon kosher salt plus more for serving
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper plus more for serving
- 1 cup orzo
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped almonds
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Toss the broccoli with 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper on a sheet pan. Spread into a single layer. Roast for 8-10 minutes. The broccoli should be bright green with only a few of the edges browned.
- While the broccoli is roasting, cook the orzo until al dente according to package instructions. Drain and rinse with cold water in a colander or strainer.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Sauté the garlic for 30 seconds letting it get fragrant. Stir in the orzo and the lemon juice. Give the orzo a minute to absorb the juice.
- Fold in the broccoli, scallions, parsley and almonds. Season with salt and pepper to taste.