With crumbled goat cheese, walnuts, scallions and herbs, this easy roasted golden beet salad recipe can be served as a vegetable side dish too.
- For roasted beets
- 2 pounds golden beets, greens removed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- For vinaigrette
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/2 cup packed baby arugula leaves
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- For salad
- 2 cups packed baby arugula
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- For the roasted beets: Place each beet on an individual piece of aluminum foil. Drizzle the beets with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Fold into loose packets and place on a sheet pan. Roast the beets for 45-50 minutes until they can be easily pierced with a knife.
- When the beets are cool enough to handle, use a towel to rub off the skins. Cut the beets into 1/2-inch-wide wedges.
- For the vinaigrette: Combine the garlic clove, 1/2 cup arugula, white wine vinegar, 1/4 cup olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper in a food processor or blender. Puree until smooth and combined. Pour the vinaigrette into a large bowl.
- For the salad: Stir the roasted beets into the vinaigrette. Then add 2 cups arugula, scallions, parsley, goat cheese and walnuts, tossing to combine.
The beets can be roasted up to 3 days in advance. Store them wrapped tightly in the refrigerator.
The vinaigrette can also be made up to 3 days ahead. Store in an airtight container in the fridge. If the oil solidifies, let it sit out at room temperature to turn into liquid again. Or rinse the container under warm water.
Keywords: golden beets, roasted golden beet salad