With black beans and corn, this vegan slow cooker lentil tortilla soup is satisfying and hearty with plenty of spicy and smoky chipotle flavor.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red onion, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons chipotles en adobo sauce
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1–28 ounce can crushed fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 quart vegetable broth
- 1 cup red lentils
- 1–15 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1–15 ounce can corn, drained and rinsed
- Chopped cilantro, sliced avocado, tortilla chips and lime wedges for serving
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium high heat, add the onions and sauté until they start to turn soft and translucent, about 5-7 minutes. Add the garlic, chipotles en adobo sauce, cumin, dried oregano, salt and pepper stirring until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Transfer the onion mixture to a slow cooker. Add the tomatoes, vegetable broth, red lentils, black beans and corn. Cook on high for 4-5 hours.
- Divide the soup into bowls and top with chopped cilantro, avocado and tortilla chips. Serve the soup with lime wedges.