The subtle sweet, toasty and nutty flavor of this vegan roasted banana tahini ice cream is perfectly matched with the sesame crunch swirl.
- For bananas
- 5 bananas, peeled and sliced into 1/2” thick rounds
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- For sesame crunch
- 3/4 cup black and white sesame seeds.
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- For ice cream
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper. Toss the bananas with the maple syrup. Arrange them in a single layer on the sheet pan. Roast for 15-20 minutes until lightly browned.
- Cool the bananas to room temperature. Transfer to the freezer to chill until solid, about 1 hour.
- While the bananas are freezing, make the sesame crunch. Place the sesame seeds in a medium bowl. In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine the maple syrup, coconut sugar and coconut oil. Warm until the oil has melted and most of the sugar has dissolved. Stir into the sesame seeds.
- Spread the sesame seed mixture into a thin layer on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper. Bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes until the sesame seeds are toasted. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Crumble the sesame crunch into pieces.
- For the ice cream, puree the bananas, tahini, almond milk and cinnamon in a food processor until smooth. Transfer to a bowl and fold in about half the crumbled sesame crunch and reserve the rest for toppings.
- Freeze the ice cream in an airtight container until firm.
- Let the ice cream sit at room temperature for 10-15 minutes before serving.