With ginger and garlic, this vegan curried lentil tomato coconut soup is hot and spicy and has enough flavor to keep you warm and your belly full.
- 2 tablespoons virgin coconut oil
- 1 medium white onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 2-1/2-inch piece ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 tablespoon medium curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup red lentils
- 1–14.5 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup finely chopped cilantro plus leaves with stems for serving
- 2–1/2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1–13.5 ounce can unsweetened coconut milk, shaken well
- Lime wedges for serving
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, warm the coconut oil until it melts. Sauté the onions until starting to lightly brown, about 6-8 minutes. Add the garlic, ginger, curry powder and red pepper flakes, cooking until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the lentils, cooking for 1 minute.
- Stir in the tomatoes, chopped cilantro, water, salt and pepper. Reserve 1/4 cup coconut milk for serving and add the remaining coconut milk to the saucepan. Bring the soup to a boil and reduce to a simmer for 20-25 minutes until the lentils are soft.
- Divide the soup into 4 bowls. Pour the remaining coconut oil and top with cilantro. Serves with lime wedges.
Adapted from Bon Appetit December 2017
WHAT DID YOU THINK?
Rate + Review