Keeping summer leftovers like grilled corn and roasted cherry tomatoes on hand makes it easy to come up with a spontaneous dish like this tomato corn barley.
- 1/2 cup pearl barley
- 1 cup water
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh chives
- 1 cup cooked corn kernels (grilled corn or canned, rinsed and drained)
- 2 scallions thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta
- In a medium saucepan, combine the barley and water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until tender, about 12 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Arrange the cherry tomatoes, cut side up, on a parchment-lined sheet pan. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Roast for 25-30 minutes until plump and juicy, but wrinkled at the edges.
- For the vinaigrette, whisk together the remaining olive oil, lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper and chives.
- Combine the tomatoes and corn with the barley. Stir in the vinaigrette, scallions and feta. Serve at warm or at room temperature.