Golden Beet Soup
on Nov 20, 2017, Updated Jan 01, 2022
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Roasted beets are the foundation of this sunny vegan golden beet soup. Top it with a swirl of yogurt, pomegranate seeds and fresh herbs.
I’m a big fan of pureed veggies soups. They are so simple and filled with wholesome and healthy ingredients without much effort.
These soups have been on repeat in my kitchen ever since the weather started to turn a little bit chilly. I go from salad mode to soup mode when it’s cold outside.
That doesn’t mean I give up salads completely, but I start reaching for soup first.
I love to switch up the feature vegetable for these warming bowls. Broccoli, tomatoes and sweet potatoes are among the veggies that are fair game.
There are always variations to the recipes depending on the vegetable, but I do have a basic formula: olive oil + some kind of onion + vegetables + spices. That’s it.
It could not be any easier. I skipped my routine root veggies like squash and sweet potatoes and made a sunny batch of golden beet soup.
I regret all the years I said I didn’t like beets. Perhaps it was there reputation for being pickled that I avoided them. It’s a shame because roasted beets are a total dream.
How To Make Golden Beet Soup
For this soup, I roasted each beet in a foil packet with a sprig of thyme, a drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkle of salt and pepper.
There was some subtle herby flavor. I diced the beets once they were cool enough to handle.
Then I moved from the oven to the stove. I sautéed minced shallots and garlic until they were fragrant.
The beets and water went into the pot next, so everything could simmer. You can use vegetable stock, but it will effect the final color.
I pureed the soup in batches in the blender. Once it was smooth, I reheated it back on the stove.
Finally before serving, I topped each bowl with yogurt, chives, pomegranate and sunflower seeds.
Golden Beet Soup
- For beets
- 2 pounds medium golden beets greens cut off
- Olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- For soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt plus more serving
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper plus more serving
- 4 cups water
- Yogurt chives, pomegranate seeds & sunflower seeds for serving
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Wash the beets and place them in pairs on individual sheets of aluminum foil. Drizzle the beets with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Fold into loose packets and transfer to a sheet pan. Roast the beets for 50-60 minutes until they are easily pierced with a knife. Once the beets have cooled slightly, dice them.
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium high heat. Sauté the onions until they start to become soft and translucent, about 5-7 minutes. Add the garlic, thyme, cumin, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Continue cooking for 1 minute until fragrant. Stir in the beets and water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Carefully transfer the soup to a blender and puree in batches. Return the soup the saucepan to reheat. Divide the soup into bowls. Swirl with yogurt and top with chives, pomegranate seeds and sunflower seeds before serving. Season with salt and pepper.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.