Roasted beets are the foundation of this sunny vegan golden beet soup. Top it with a swirl of yogurt, pomegranate seeds and fresh herbs.
- For beets
- 2 pounds medium golden beets, greens cut off
- Olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- For soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt plus more serving
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper plus more serving
- 4 cups water
- Yogurt, chives, pomegranate seeds & sunflower seeds for serving
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Wash the beets and place them in pairs on individual sheets of aluminum foil. Drizzle the beets with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Fold into loose packets and transfer to a sheet pan. Roast the beets for 50-60 minutes until they are easily pierced with a knife. Once the beets have cooled slightly, dice them.
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium high heat. Sauté the onions until they start to become soft and translucent, about 5-7 minutes. Add the garlic, thyme, cumin, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Continue cooking for 1 minute until fragrant. Stir in the beets and water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Carefully transfer the soup to a blender and puree in batches. Return the soup the saucepan to reheat. Divide the soup into bowls. Swirl with yogurt and top with chives, pomegranate seeds and sunflower seeds before serving. Season with salt and pepper.