This roasted pumpkin wild rice salad has seasonal flavors that are both salty and sweet including apples, spinach, crumbles blue cheese, pecans and maple vinaigrette.
- 1 small pie pumpkin (about 2–3 pounds)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup wild rice
- 4 cups water
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 crisp apple, cored and diced
- 1 generous handful baby spinach
- 2 tablespoons minced chives
- 1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped pecans
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cut the top off the pumpkin and slice in half lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds and cut into 2-inch-wide wedges. Toss the wedges in 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Arrange on a sheet pan. Roast for 25-30 minutes until tender when pierced with a knife. Cool for 10 minutes before cutting the flesh of each wedge into cubes and removing the skin.
- Rinse the rice with cold water in a fine mesh strainer.
- Place the rice and water in a large saucepan over medium high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 45-50 minutes. Check the doneness of the rice. The grains should be cooked but still chewy. (Also refer to the package instructions for recommended cook time).
- Drain any remaining liquid from the saucepan. Let the rice sit covered for 5 minutes. Then fluff it with a fork.
- To make the vinaigrette, whisk together 2 tablespoons olive oil, lemon juice, maple syrup, garlic and the remaining salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- In a large bowl, combine the rice, pumpkin, apples, spinach, chives, blue cheese and pecans and drizzle in the vinaigrette. Serve warm or at room temperature.