Cumin and red pepper flakes add heat and spice to this simple sweet potato soup. Finish each bowl with a yogurt swirl and fresh herbs.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red onion, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes plus more for serving
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 medium sweet potatoes (about 2 pounds), peeled and diced
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- Yogurt, mined chives and chopped parsley for serving
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions and sauté for 5 minutes until they start to soften. Stir in the garlic, cumin, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper and continue cooking for an additional 3 minutes.
- Add the sweet potatoes and stock. Bring the soup to a simmer and cook for 15-20 minutes until the potatoes are soft.
- Carefully transfer the soup in batches to a blender to puree. Return the soup to the saucepan to reheat.
- Divide into bowls and swirl with yogurt and sprinkle with chives, parsley and red pepper flakes before serving.