Packed with vegetables, this simple vegan asparagus pea soup turns out the most magical shade of green practically shouting, Hello, Spring!
- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt plus more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper plus more to taste
- 1 small white onion, roughly chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 generous handful baby spinach
- 1–1/2 cups fresh or frozen peas
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Toss the asparagus with 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 teaspoon kosher salt and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper. Roast for 15 minutes until bright green and tender. Slice the asparagus into 1-1/2 inch long pieces save some to garnish the bowls of soup.
- Heat the remaining olive oil in large saucepan over medium high heat. Sauté the onions until they start to soften, about 3-4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in the spinach followed by the peas and vegetable stock. Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes until the peas are tender.
- Carefully transfer the soup and asparagus to a blender and puree in batches. Return to the saucepan to reheat. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Divide the soup into bowls and top with asparagus and scallions.