You can’t go wrong starting weekend mornings with classic waffles. Freeze any extras and toast them to make weekday breakfast just as special.
- 2 eggs
- 1–3/4 cups buttermilk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1–1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Preheat a waffle iron according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- In a large bowl whisk the eggs until they are foaming. Add the buttermilk, oil and vanilla extract whisking after each addition until fully incorporated.
- Add the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt to the batter mixing until only small lumps remain.
- When the waffle iron is hot, pour the batter evenly over the grid using a wooden spoon or a silicone spatula to spread stopping short of the corners. Cook according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Serve immediately with butter and maple syrup.
Adapted from Williams Sonoma Cooking at Home by Chuck Williams & Christine Kidd