Skip the store-bought version and make your own homemade chai concentrate with of cinnamon, star anise & black pepper that’s not too sweet.
- 5 cups water
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 8 black tea bags, remove tags and tie bags in a bundle
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 2 star anise
- 8 cloves
- 10 cardamom pods
- 5 black peppercorns
- 5 whole allspice
- 1–2” piece of fresh ginger, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large saucepan, bring the water and sugar to a boil over high heat. Add the tea bags, cinnamon, star anise, cloves, cardamom pods, peppercorns, allspice and ginger. Reduce the heat to medium low and simmer for 20-25 minutes. Pour the mixture through a fine mesh strainer into a large bowl and discard the spices. Stir in the honey and vanilla extract.
- Let the chai concentrate cool to room temperature before transferring to a jar and storing in the refrigerator.
- Combine 1 part chai concentrate and 1 part milk. Heat the mixture or serve with ice.
This is very accurate and amazing
My daughter and I love making this recipe together! It has become a weekly ritual. Iced chai lattes with the perfect balance of spices are so refreshing!
Great recipe! How long will this last in the fridge? Do you think you could freeze it?
It will last about 2 weeks in the fridge. You could freeze it. I would say for 1-2 months–great idea!