With a simple mix of fruit, greens, pistachios and Dijon lemon vinaigrette, this stone fruit kale barley salad is a total celebration of all things summer.
- For salad
- 1/2 cup barley
- 1 cup water
- 1 bunch Lacinato kale, stems removed and leaves chopped
- 2 cups pitted and roughly chopped stone fruit (peaches, nectarines, plums, cherries)
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped pistachios
- For vinaigrette
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- In a medium saucepan, combine the barley and water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 12 minutes until tender. Let stand for 2-3 minutes and fluff with a fork. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Stir the kale, fruit, scallions, parsley and pistachios into the barley.
- For the vinaigrette, in a small bowl, combine the lemon juice, mustard, salt and pepper. Whisk in the olive oil until fully combined.
- Toss with salad with the vinaigrette before serving.
The barley can be made up to 2 days in advance.