With bitter greens, this kale brussels sprout pear salad has everything from sweet fruit to salty blue cheese to crunchy almonds all tossed in sherry vinaigrette.
- For vinaigrette
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon whole grain mustard
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- For salad
- 1 pound brussels sprouts, trimmed and thinly sliced lengthwise
- 2 cups chopped Lacinato kale, ribs removed
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 red Bartlett pears, cored and diced
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped almonds
- 1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- For the vinaigrette, whisk together the garlic, mustard, sherry vinegar, salt, pepper and olive oil in a small bowl.
- In a large bowl, combine the brussels sprouts, kale, scallions, pears, almonds, blue cheese and parsley.
- Drizzle the vinaigrette into the salad, tossing to combine.
You can use curly green kale instead of lacinato kale.
Pecans, walnuts or sunflower seeds are great substitutes for the almonds.
If you prefer a cheese that is less strong, try feta or goat cheese.
You can add more sweetness and texture with 1/4 cup dried cranberries.
The vinaigrette can be made up to 3 days in advance. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. If the olive oil becomes solid, run the container under hot water and shake it around. The olive oil will turn into liquid again.
Store leftover salad in a separate container from the vinaigrette up to 3 days in the fridge.
Keywords: kale brussels sprout salad