With lots of ground cinnamon, these vegan pizza dough cinnamon rolls are a quicker, easier and lighter version of the classic breakfast or brunch treat.
- 2/3 cup warm water
- 1/2 teaspoon dry active yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon olive oil plus more for bowl
- 1 cup bread flour plus more for work surface
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon + 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- In a small bowl, combine the water, yeast, sugar and olive oil. Let stand until foamy, about 5 minutes.
- In the bowl of a food processor, pulse the flours, 1 teaspoon cinnamon and salt. Add the yeast mixture and process until a ball of dough forms. Transfer the dough to an oiled bowl. Cover and let rise until doubled in volume, about 2 hours or up to overnight in the refrigerator.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F Line a sheet pan with parchment.
- Roll the dough into a 10-inch by 14-inch rectangle on a lightly floured work surface. Brush with coconut oil.
- In a small bowl, combine the coconut sugar and remaining cinnamon and sprinkle evenly over the dough. Roll dough into a log starting with one of the short sides.
- Place the log, seam side down, on the prepared sheet pan and chill in the freezer for 15 minutes.
- Transfer the log to a cutting board. Trim the uneven ends. Slice the log into 1-inch-wide rolls. Place them on the prepared sheet pan spacing 3 inches apart.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until puffed up and golden brown. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- The rolls are best the day they are baked.