With spelt flour, these zucchini applesauce muffins are a full-on treat with bittersweet chocolate in the batter and even sprinkled on top.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup spelt flour
- 2–3/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 large eggs at room temperature
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1–1/14 cups granulated sugar
- 3 cups grated zucchini
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup roughly chopped bittersweet chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners.
- In a medium bowl, stir together both flours, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, oil, applesauce, sugar, zucchini and vanilla extract. Fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients followed by 1/2 cup bittersweet chocolate. Transfer the batter the prepared muffin pan and sprinkle with the remaining chocolate.
- Bake the muffins for 22-25 minutes until the tops spring back when pressed. Cool in the pan for 5 minutes before removing the muffins and transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container.
Loosely adapted from Martha Stewart Living September 2014
WHAT DID YOU THINK?
Rate + Review