You can customize these lemon drop scones using your favorite citrus like lime, orange or grapefruit. And they have just the crumble you want in a scone.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Zest 2 lemons
- 6 ounces (1–1/2 sticks) chilled unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup milk plus more for brushing tops
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line 2 sheet pans with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, stir together the all-purpose flour, baking powder, granulated sugar salt and lemon zest.
- Use a fork to cut the butter into the dry ingredients, until it resembles pea-sized clumps. You can also rub the butter and flour together with your fingers.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg, milk and vanilla extract. Stir into the flour-butter mixture. The dough will turn into clumps. Then you can press it together.
- Drop the dough by 1/4-cup-full in mounds on the sheet pans spreading 3 inches apart.
- Bake until golden brown, about 18-20 minutes.
- Cool the scones on a wire rack.
- Scones are best the day they are baked. Store in an airtight container.
Instead of lemon zest, you can use another kind of citrus including lime, orange or grapefruit.