This easy baked overnight French toast has plenty of time to soak up the cinnamon-egg-milk mixture before it’s topped with walnuts and maple syrup.
- Butter for greasing dish
- 1/2 to 3/4 loaf challah, cut into 1/2-inch thick slices
- 2 cups milk
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- Maple syrup for serving
- Butter an 8-inch square baking dish and arrange the bread in snug overlapping rows.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the milk, eggs, sugar, cinnamon, vanilla extract and salt. Pour the mixture over the bread. Cover the dish with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator overnight.
- To bake, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Remove the baking dish from the refrigerator. Use a spoon to scoop up the unabsorbed liquid and baste the tops of the bread slices. Bake for 30 minutes. Sprinkle the walnuts on top and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
- Serve with maple syrup.
I made this this weekend for a baby shower brunch and it was a HUGE hit and very easy to make!