Made with pizza dough, these pizza rolls rise tall in the oven turning into chewy, puffy pinwheels that you can serve as dinner rolls.
- 2/3 cup warm water
- 1/2 teaspoon dry active yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon olive oil plus more for bowl and brushing pizza
- 1 cup bread flour plus more for work surface
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 cups tomato sauce
- 1/3 cup pesto
- 1/4 cup shredded Italian cheese blend
- In a small bowl, combine the water, yeast, sugar and olive oil. Let stand until foamy, about 5 minutes.
- In the bowl of a food processor, pulse the flours and salt. Add the yeast mixture and process until a ball of dough forms. Transfer the dough to an oiled bowl. Cover and let rise until doubled in volume, about 2 hours or up to overnight in the refrigerator.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F Line a sheet pan with parchment.
- Roll the dough into a 10-inch by 16-inch rectangle on a lightly floured work surface. Spread the tomato sauce leaving an 1/8-inch border followed by the pesto. Sprinkle all over with cheese. Roll dough into a log starting with one of the short sides. Chill in the fridge for 25 minutes. Slice the log into rolls about 1-1/2 inches wide. Place them on a prepared sheet pan spacing at least 3 inches apart.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until puffed up and golden brown. Serve warm or at room temperature.
WHAT DID YOU THINK?
Rate + Review