With olive oil, Italian seasonings and a sheet pan, it’s easy to toast bread in the oven and make a batch of homemade croutons for salads.
- 1 loaf ciabatta, sourdough or multigrain bread or 2 baguettes (about 12 ounces)
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Tear the bread into 1-inch to 2-inch pieces. Place the bread on a sheet pan.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, oregano, thyme, garlic powder, onion powder, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper.
- Pour the olive oil over the bread. Use your hands to toss it around, so all the oil is absorbed. Spread out the bread across the entire sheet pan in a single layer.
- Bake the bread for 10 minutes. Turn it over to the other side. Continue baking for 7-10 minutes until the croutons are golden brown.
- Let the croutons cool before using them or storing them.
Store croutons in an airtight container at room temperature up to 2 weeks. To maintain their crunchy texture, do not refrigerate or freeze them.
In addition to salads, use these croutons as garnish on soups. Also, you can turn them into breadcrumbs by crushing them in a food processor or putting them in a bag and crushing them with a heavy pot.
Keywords: homemade croutons, crouton recipe