With olive oil, Italian seasonings and a sheet pan, it’s easy to toast bread in the oven and make a batch of homemade croutons for salads.
- 1 loaf ciabatta or 2 baguettes (about 12 ounces)
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Tear the bread into 1-inch to 1-1/2-inch pieces. Place the bread on a sheet pan.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, oregano, thyme, garlic powder, onion powder, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper.
- Pour the olive oil over the bread using your hands to toss it around, so all the oil is absorbed. Spread out the bread across the sheet pan in a single layer.
- Bake the bread for 10 minutes. Turn it over to the other side. Continue cooking for 7-10 minutes until the croutons are golden brown.
- Let them cool before using the croutons in salads or to top soups.
- Store in an airtight container.