Red pepper flakes give this vegan roasted spicy purple cauliflower soup some heat. It is hearty and filling thickened with purple fingerling potatoes.
- 1–1/2 pounds purple cauliflower, trimmed and broken into florets*
- 1/2 pound purple fingerling potatoes or purple sweet potatoes, diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes plus more for serving
- 1–1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 small red onion, roughly chopped*
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 3 cups water
- Fresh chives for serving
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Toss the cauliflower and potatoes with 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Roast the cauliflower until it is tender and the florets are starting to brown at the edges, about 25 to 30 minutes.
- Heat the remaining olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions and sauté for 5 minutes until they start to soften. Stir in the garlic and remaining red pepper flakes, salt and pepper and continue cooking for an additional 3 minutes. Add the water cauliflower and potatoes, reserving 1/2 cup cauliflower for garnish. Simmer the soup for 10 minutes.
- Carefully transfer the soup in batches to a blender to puree. Return the soup to the saucepan to reheat before serving, Divide into bowls and top with cauliflower, fresh chives and red pepper flakes.
*If you have white, orange or green cauliflower, use a white onion instead of red.