This spring veggie paella uses barley instead of traditional Bomba rice along with pimientos, asparagus, peas, artichokes and cannellini beans.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small white onion, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped pimientos (one 4-ounce jar, drained)
- 1 tomato, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1–1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 cups barley
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup chopped flat leaf parsley plus more for serving
- 1/2 pound asparagus, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 6-1/2 ounce jar marinated artichoke hearts, drained and sliced
- 1–15 ounce can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Sauté the onions until they are soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the pimientos, tomatoes and garlic and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Add the salt, turmeric, barley, stock, water and parsley and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, stirring frequently, until half the liquid is absorbed, about 7 minutes.
- Add the asparagus, peas, artichokes and beans and continue cooking until the barley is tender, stirring frequently, about 10-12 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and let stand for 10 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley before serving.
Adapted from Food & Wine May 2014
WHAT DID YOU THINK?
Rate + Review