Made with whole wheat bread and baked in a casserole dish, baked almond butter and jelly French toast is a healthier version of the sweet breakfast (or brunch) classic.
- Non-stick cooking spray
- 18–20 whole wheat bread slices
- 1 cup almond butter
- 3/4 cup jelly or jam
- 1–1/2 cups almond milk
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped almonds
- Maple syrup for serving
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 13-inch by 9-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- To make each sandwich, spread two slices of bread with peanut butter. Then spread one of the slices with jelly and press them together. Repeat with the rest of the bread.
- Quarter the sandwiches. Arrange them in tight and close rows, cut sides up, in the prepared baking dish.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the almond milk, eggs, vanilla extract, almond extract and salt. Pour the mixture over the sandwiches.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Sprinkle the almonds on top and continue cooking for 10 minutes until toasted and golden brown.
- Drizzle with maple syrup before serving.
You can make the almond butter and jelly sandwiches the night before. Just put them in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
WHAT DID YOU THINK?
Rate + Review