Made with whole wheat bread and baked in a casserole dish, baked almond butter and jelly French toast is a healthier version of the sweet breakfast (or brunch) classic.
- Non-stick cooking spray
- 18–20 whole wheat bread slices
- 1 cup almond butter
- 3/4 cup jelly or jam
- 1–1/2 cups almond milk
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped almonds
- Maple syrup for serving
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 13-inch by 9-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- To make each sandwich, spread two slices of bread with peanut butter. Then spread one of the slices with jelly and press them together. Repeat with the rest of the bread.
- Quarter the sandwiches. Arrange them in tight and close rows, cut sides up, in the prepared baking dish.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the almond milk, eggs, vanilla extract, almond extract and salt. Pour the mixture over the sandwiches.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Sprinkle the almonds on top and continue cooking for 10 minutes until toasted and golden brown.
- Drizzle with maple syrup before serving.
You can make the almond butter and jelly sandwiches the night before. Just put them in an airtight container in the refrigerator.