With zucchini, red peppers, carrots, tomatoes and a mix of fragrant dried spices, this vegan chickpea harissa vegetable soup is spicy and satisfying.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons harissa
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1–28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 2 medium zucchini, diced
- 1–14.5 ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- Chopped fresh parsley for serving
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions and carrots and sauté for 4 minutes until the onions start to soften. Add the peppers and continue cooking for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the garlic, harissa, cumin, paprika, salt and pepper and sauté for 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
- Pour in the tomatoes, vegetable broth and water and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the zucchini and chickpeas and continue simmering for 10 minutes, letting the soup thicken slightly.
- Divide the soup into bowls and top with chopped parsley before serving.
Store the soup in the refrigerator up to 5 days or in the freezer up to 1 month.
Keywords: spicy vegetable soup, chickpea vegetable soup, chickpea tomato soup
Very easy to make. I couldn’t find zucchini at the store so I swapped in yellow squash, and added in some kale for a little green. Seasoning directions are excellent, this is a great soup
Such a satisfying mix of veggies with a great flavor. Loved it!
Very healthy and tasty. Soups.