A hearty, filling vegetarian main, this one pot quinoa chili is filled with black beans, kidney beans, bell peppers, green chilies and a mix of spices.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small red onion, roughly chopped
- 1–4 ounce can diced green chilies
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon hot smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 orange bell pepper, diced
- 1–15 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1–15 ounce can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1–15 ounce can corn, drained and rinsed
- 1–28 ounce can crushed fire-roasted tomatoes
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- Cilantro, whole leaves and chopped for serving
- Sliced scallions for serving
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions and sauté for 4 minutes. Stir in the green chilies, garlic, cumin, paprika, chili powder, salt and pepper. Continue cooking for an additional 3-4 minutes until the onions are soft and translucent.
- Add the red and orange peppers and sauté for 2 minutes. Then stir in the black beans, kidney beans, corn, tomatoes, vegetable broth and quinoa. Increase the heat and bring the mixture a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes until the quinoa is tender.
- Top with cilantro and scallions before serving.
The chili can be made 1 day in advance. Reheat in a sauce pan over medium heat stirring frequently.