With a combination of store-bought and from-scratch components, homemade herb crackers with caviar and mascarpone are special hors d’oeuvres.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour plus more for work surface
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt plus more for serving
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper plus more for serving
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh herbs plus more for serving (chives, parsley, thyme, rosemary, dill, oregano)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup mascarpone
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Petrossian Tsar Imperial Ossetra Caviar
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Line 2 sheet pans with parchment.
- In a large bowl, combine the flours, sugar, salt, pepper and herbs. Add the olive oil and water, stirring until a smooth but slightly sticky dough forms. Let the dough rest for 10 minutes before rolling out on a lightly floured work surface very thinly to about 1/16-inch – 1/8-inch thick. Use a cookie cutter or pizza roller to cut the crackers into 1-1/2-inch squares.
- Place them on the prepared sheet pans about 1 inch apart. Prick the crackers with the tines of a fork. Bake for 12-15 minutes until golden brown. Cool completely on the pans.
- In a medium bowl, fold the mascarpone with the lemon zest. Spread a thin layer of mascarpone on each cracker. Top with a small spoon of caviar. Sprinkle with fresh herbs, salt and pepper before serving.