With bitter greens, sweet bright fruit, pistachios and dates, this mandarin orange salad has chopped kale as its leafy green base and is tossed in a white wine vinaigrette.
- For vinaigrette
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- For salad
- 1 large bunch curly green kale or Lacinato kale, stems removed, leaves chopped
- 2 mandarin oranges, peeled and segmented
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup chopped pitted dates
- 1/4 cup chopped pistachios
- For the vinaigrette, whisk together the vinegar, mustard, salt, pepper and olive oil until fully combined.
- Place the kale in a large bowl. Drizzle in about half the vinaigrette and massage it into the kale. Add the mandarins, scallions, dates and pistachios, tossing to combine.
- Serve with the remaining vinaigrette.
If you aren’t planning to eat the entire salad, portion out what you want to save and do not toss it in the dressing. Store it in an airtight container up to 2 days in a container separate from the vinaigrette.
Keywords: mandarin orange salad, mandarin salad