Making your own special flavored hummus is easy. For sweet potato hummus, just add roasted sweet potatoes to the usual chickpeas, tahini, garlic and spices.
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3/4 cup plus 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1–15 ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 3 tablespoons creamy tahini
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Place the sweet potatoes on a foil-lined sheet pan and toss with 1 teaspoon olive oil. Bake the sweet potatoes for 30 minutes until tender.
- Finely chop the garlic in a bowl of a food processor. Add the sweet potatoes, chickpeas, peanut butter, lemon juice, cumin, salt and pepper and process. While the food processor is running, drizzle in the remaining olive oil through the feeder tube and puree until the hummus is smooth and creamy.
- Store in the refrigerator up to 1 week.