Fire-roasted tomatoes, cumin, chili powder and oregano give this vegan black bean soup lots flavor. There’s no need to rinse off the beans. You use everything in the cans.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red onion, roughly chopped
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2–15 ounce cans black beans
- 1–15 ounce can diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- Diced avocados for serving
- Chopped cilantro for serving
- Tortilla chips for serving
- Lime wedges for serving
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the onions and sauté for 3-4 minutes until they start to soften.
- Stir in the carrots, garlic, cumin, chili powder, oregano, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper and continue cooking until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add the black beans, tomatoes and vegetable broth. Simmer for 20-25 minutes until the soup has slightly thickened.
- Use an immersion blender to puree about a third of the soup. Or transfer 1/3 of the soup to a blender to puree it. Then pour it back into the pot.
- Divide the soup into bowls and top with avocados, cilantro and tortilla chips. Serve each bowl with a lime wedge.
Do not rinse the black beans. Pour both the beans and liquid from the cans into the soup.
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 3 days or up to 1 month in the freezer. Warm the soup in the microwave or on the stove top.
Keywords: black bean soup
WHAT DID YOU THINK?
Rate + Review