Fire-roasted tomatoes, cumin, ancho chile powder and oregano give this hearty vegan black bean soup lots flavor and a spicy kick. There’s no rinsing off the beans. You use everything in the can including the goop.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red onion, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1–1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon ancho chile powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt plus more for serving
- 1 teaspoon black pepper plus more for serving
- 2–15 ounce cans black beans
- 1–15 ounce can diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- Diced avocado for serving
- Chopped cilantro for serving
- Crumble tortilla chips for serving
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium high heat. Add the onions and sauté for 5 minutes until they start to soften. Stir in the garlic, cumin, ancho chile powder, oregano, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper and continue cooking until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add the black beans, tomatoes and vegetable broth. Simmer for 15-20 minutes until the soup has slightly thickened.
- Divide the soup into bowls and garnish with avocado, cilantro, tortilla chips, salt and pepper.