With a spicy mix of cumin and cayenne pepper, bake these easy sheet pan sweet potato black bean quesadillas in the oven so they’re all ready at the same time.
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1–1/2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped kale
- 1–15 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 6 flour tortillas
- 1–1/2 cups shredded Mexican blend cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro plus more for serving
- Salsa and lime wedges for serving
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, combine the cumin, cayenne pepper, oregano, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Toss the sweet potatoes with olive oil and the spice mixture on a sheet pan spreading into a single layer. Roast the sweet potatoes for 25-30 minutes until they are just starting to brown at the edges, and they are tender in the middle. In the last 5 minutes of cooking, scatter the chopped kale on top.
- Once the sweet potatoes and kale are out of the oven, mix in the black beans to finish the filling.
- Line another sheet pan with parchment paper. Place each tortilla on the pan. Spoon the sweet potato filling and 1/4 cup shredded cheese on one half of each of the tortillas. Sprinkle with cilantro. Fold over the tortillas creating a half-round shape.
- Bake the quesadillas for 10-12 minutes until they are lightly browned and the cheese has melted.
- Cut the quesadillas into quarters and top with chopped cilantro. Serve with salsa and lime wedges.