Topped with cherries and spiced with cardamom, this cherry pistachio cake turns out with an almost gooey crumb especially in the center.
- Non-stick cooking spray
- 1/2 cup plus 1-1/2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1–1/4 cup ground almonds
- 1/4 cup ground pistachios
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups fresh sweet cherries
- Scant 1/2 cup roughly chopped pistachios
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a 9-inch diameter cake pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine 1/2 cup granulated sugar, brown sugar, ground almonds, ground pistachios, coconut, flour, baking powder, salt and cardamom. Stir in the butter followed by the eggs, one at a time, mixing completely after each addition. Spread the batter into an even layer in the pan.
- Pit the cherries and arrange them in a single layer in the pan. Sprinkle with the chopped pistachios and remaining granulated sugar.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until the cake pulls away from the sides of the pan and the top is golden brown in between the cherries. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Cover and store in the refrigerator. Bring to room temperature before serving.
Adapted from Epicurious May 2015
For the cherry pistachio cake it says sprinkle with remaining sugar… What remaining sugar?
The recipe doesn’t say to reserve any from the 1/2 cup plus 1 1/2 tablespoons of sugar.
Mix 1/2 cup granulated sugar in the batter for the cake. Then sprinkle 1-1/2 tablespoons sugar on top. The recipe is now updated to clarify this. Thanks!