With chopped kale, walnuts, scallions & champagne vinaigrette, this grilled corn tomato wild rice salad blurs the definition between salad and side.
- 1 cup wild rice
- 4 cups water
- 3 corn cobs, shucked
- 1/4 cup plus 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons champagne vinegar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1–1/2 cups chopped Lacinato kale, ribs removed
- 3 scallions thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Rinse the rice with cold water in a fine mesh strainer.
- Place the rice and water in a large saucepan over medium high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 45-50 minutes. Check the doneness of the rice. The grains should be cooked but still chewy. (Also refer to the package instructions for recommended cook time).
- Drain any remaining liquid from the saucepan. Let the rice sit covered for 5 minutes. Then fluff it with a fork.
- While the rice is cooking, preheat a gas or charcoal grill on high heat. Toss the corn with 1 teaspoon olive oil. Grill until the corn is lightly charred, about 5-7 minutes.
- When the corn is cool enough to handle, slice the kernels off the cobs.
- In a small bowl, whisk together 1/4 cup olive oil, champagne vinegar, kosher salt and black pepper.
- In a large bowl, fold together the rice, corn, tomatoes, kale, scallions, walnuts and vinaigrette.