This vegan lentil wild rice soup is extra hearty with a mix of carrots, celery, mushrooms, tomatoes and spinach to go with the rice and lentils. It’s finished with lemon juice.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 white onion, roughly chopped
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 cup chopped cremini mushrooms (about 3 ounces)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1–14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 4 cups water
- 3/4 cup wild rice
- 3/4 cup green lentils
- 2 ounces baby spinach
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium high heat. Then sauté the onions, celery, carrots and mushrooms until they start to soften, about 4-5 minutes. Add the garlic, cumin, thyme, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper and cook for another minute until fragrant. Stir in the tomatoes, vegetable broth, water and wild rice.
- Bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the lentils and continue simmering for 20-25 minutes until the rice is cooked and the lentils are tender.
- Stir in the baby spinach, lemon juice and parsley letting the greens wilt.
- Taste the soup. Add more salt and pepper, if needed.
Can I substitute black rice for wild rice
Yes, you can substitute with black rice.
Hearty and filling. The wild rice with a bit of texture really elevates the soup. We will make this one again!