This pearl barley tabbouleh has lots of herbs including parsley and mint. It’s more filling than the classic version because of the grains.
- 1/2 cup pearl barley
- 1–1/4 cups water
- 1/2 pint grape tomatoes
- 1/2 cup diced cucumbers
- 1/2 cup parsley leaves, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup mint leaves, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced chives
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Pinch of allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- In a medium saucepan, combine the barley and water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until tender, about 12 minutes. In a mesh strainer, rinse the barley in cold water.
- Transfer the barley to a large bowl. Stir in the tomatoes, cucumbers, parsley, mint, chives, lemon juice, allspice, salt and pepper.
This tabbouleh can also be made with roasted tomatoes.
Really yummy! Had all the ingredients for tabbouleh except the bulgar. When I found barley in the pantry I looked up a recipe and found this one. It was so good. I might not go back to bulgar!