- 2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil plus more for greasing pan
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1–1/2 cups almond meal
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- Confectioners’ sugar for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Grease a 9-inch springform pan with olive oil and line the bottom with parchment.
- In a small bowl, whisk the boiling water into the cocoa powder and then add the vanilla extract and almond extract. Set aside to cool slightly.
- In a medium bowl, combine the almond meal, baking soda and sea salt.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the olive oil, sugar and eggs on medium speed until fully combined and thickened, about 3 minutes. With the mixer on low speed, add the cocoa mixture and then the dry ingredients. Transfer the batter to the prepared pan and bake for 40-45 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out with a few crumbs.
- Cool the cake in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes before carefully removing it. Serve warm or at room temperature dusted with confectioners’ sugar.
Adapted from Nigellissima by Nigella Lawson
Keywords: flourless chocolate cake
WHAT DID YOU THINK?
Rate + Review