This grilled almond pound cake with peaches is a summer dessert that makes the most of in season stone fruit that pairs so well with nuts.
- For pound cake
- Non-stick cooking spray
- 1–1/2 cups cake flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 6 ounces (1–1/2 sticks) unsalted butter at room temperature plus more for spreading
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- For peaches
- 2 large peaches, pitted and cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- Zest of 1 lemon
- For serving
- Whipped cream
- Slivered almonds
- Mint leaves
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8-1/2-inch by 4-1/2-inch loaf pan with cooking spray and line with parchment.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs, vanilla extract and almond extract.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter until smooth. Add the sugar and continue beating until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Mix in the eggs followed by the dry ingredients until just combined. Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan. Bake until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean, about 1 hour and 10 minutes. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes before removing and cooling completely on a wire rack.
- Preheat a gas or charcoal grill to medium heat with the grill pan inside.
- In a small bowl, combine the peaches, sugar and lemon zest. Cut the pound cake into 12 slices and butter both sides.
- Grill the pound cake for 2-3 minutes per side until toasted. Then grill the peaches until they are warm and have grill marks, about 2 minutes per side.
- For serving, place 2 pound cake slices along with peaches on each plate. Top with whipped cream, almonds and mint leaves.
Pound Cake Adapted from Williams-Sonoma Cooking at Home by Chuck Williams & Kristine Kidd
WHAT DID YOU THINK?
Rate + Review