Sheet cakes tick the boxes for easy baking including this simple mixed berry cornmeal cake with blackberries, blueberries and raspberries.
- 1–1/2 sticks unsalted butter plus more for pan
- 1–1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup fine yellow cornmeal
- 1–1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1–1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1–1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 18 ounces mixed fresh berries (blueberries, raspberries, blackberries)
- Confectioners’ sugar for serving
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Grease a 13-inch by 9-inch baking pan with butter, line with parchment and butter again.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt. Using an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar on medium high speed in a large bowl, until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. Beat in the eggs one at a time followed by the vanilla extract. On low speed, mix in the dry ingredients in 3 additions alternating with the buttermilk in 2 additions until just combined.
- Spread the batter into the prepared cake pan. Sprinkle with the berries and the remaining sugar on top. Bake the cake until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean, about 1 hour. Cool the cake completely on a wire rack. Dust with confectioners’ sugar before serving.
Adapted from Martha Stewart