Yes you can use store-bought peanut butter, but homemade peanut butter makes these classic, cross-hatched peanut butter cookies that much more special.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1–1/2 sticks (6 ounces) unsalted butter at room temperature
- 2/3 cup homemade or store-bought peanut butter
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking soda and salt.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer cream the butter, peanut butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg and vanilla extract. Fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and chill the dough in the refrigerator overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a sheet pan with parchment. Drop the dough by the scant quarter cup full and place 2 inches apart on the prepared sheet pan.
- Using a fork, press a crisscross pattern into the dough. Bake the cookies for 12-15 minutes until they are golden brown. Cool for 5 minutes on the sheet pan before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container.
I made these cookies again and as mentioned in my earlier comment, would try a pb&j variation. It turned out great!! I didn’t have quite enough peanut butter this time so filled the remainder of the 2/3 cup with almond butter. I also made the cookies half the size and spaced them closer so that I could fit 25 on the cookie sheet. I made a small indentation in the center before popping them in the over and baked for 14 minutes, turning the pan halfway. After cooling, I filled the centers with jam – really delicious!
I will have to try your pb&j variation. It sounds delicious!!!
I made these peanut butter cookies and they were delicious! I used whole wheat pastry flour and a high-quality store-bought peanut butter (Stonewall Kitchen). This recipe is a keeper. Next time, I will make smaller cookies and fill the center with a dollop of jam/jelly for a pb&j variation.
Love peanut butter cookies so much!!! These look amazing! 😀
Hello! I love your blog. The photographs and content are amazing. I recently made a cooking blog that may appeal to you. I would really appreciate it if you would check it out! https://kcolescreativecorner.com