Peanut Butter Cookies
on Jun 05, 2015, Updated Jul 08, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Yes you can use store-bought peanut butter, but homemade peanut butter makes these classic, cross-hatched peanut butter cookies that much more special.
I don’t think I will ever have a meal and not crave something sweet
Full disclosure, I even have indulged in the occasional piece of cake for breakfast.
It isn’t the healthiest habit, but I always make it a point to have a made-from-scratch dessert at home or, at the very least, a fancy chocolate bar.
That sweet tooth is what motivates me to walk everywhere I can and get to the gym.
This week ambition hit when I was trying to figure out what to bake.
I decided on cookies, but I wanted to make them more special.
I whipped up a batch of homemade peanut butter and used some of it in these classic peanut butter cookies.
They had a nuttier flavor than store-bought peanut butter.
I quite liked their extra crumbly texture, but they were a mess to eat–in the best way possible.
Peanut butter cookies are always a good idea for dessert.
Peanut Butter Cookies
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 ounces unsalted butter at room temperature
- 2/3 cup homemade or store-bought peanut butter
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking soda and salt.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer cream the butter, peanut butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg and vanilla extract. Fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and chill the dough in the refrigerator overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a sheet pan with parchment. Drop the dough by the scant quarter cup full and place 2 inches apart on the prepared sheet pan.
- Using a fork, press a crisscross pattern into the dough. Bake the cookies for 12-15 minutes until they are golden brown. Cool for 5 minutes on the sheet pan before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.