There are so many ways to enjoy this pear ginger compote that it will become your favorite fruit condiment. It’s part spread and part sauce.
- 4 pears (Bosc, Anjou, Bartlett or Comice), peeled seeded and chopped
- 1 apple (Pink Lady, Honeycrisp or Fuji), peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/4 cup water
- In a large saucepan, combine the pears, apples, ginger, lemon juice, maple syrup and water.
- Cook the fruit over medium heat, occasionally stirring, until it is soft and the compote has thickened.
- Remove from the heat. The compote will thicken a bit as it cools.
Along with cinnamon, you can include a combination of ground cardamom, nutmeg or cloves.
Let the compote cool to room temperature before spooning into an airtight container. The compote can be stored in the refrigerator up to 1 week. To store it longer, you can store it in the freezer up to 1 month.
Serve the compote warm or cool with yogurt, oatmeal, ice cream, pancakes, waffles or toast.
Keywords: pear compote, what is compote
I love all things pear, but most especially the combination of pear and ginger. Match made in heaven.