Strong cheese and sweet fruit team up in this pear salad with arugula, Gorgonzola, walnuts and pomegranate seeds. It’s dressed in balsamic vinaigrette.
- For vinaigrette
- 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- For salad
- 5 ounces baby arugula
- 3 pears, cored and thinly sliced
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1/3 cup toasted chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- To make the vinaigrette, whisk together the mustard, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- In a large bowl, combine the arugula, pears, red onions, pomegranate seeds, walnuts, gorgonzola and parsley.
- Drizzle the vinaigrette into the salad. Toss to combine.
The best pears for salads are Bartlett, Comice or Bosc.
Instead of arugula for lettuce, you can substitute with baby spinach or kale, butter lettuce or a spring green mix.
To toast the walnuts, put them on a sheet pan in an oven preheated to 350 degrees F for 5-7 minutes.
If you are going to save the salad, wait to slice the pears. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 3 days. If possible, do not toss leftovers in the vinaigrette. Also, store the vinaigrette in a separate container.
Keywords: pear salad, pear gorgonzola salad
I love this combination of pomegranate and pears!